THE EILEEN BATTLEY “HAT TRICK” AWARD
The Eileen Battley “Hat Trick” Award offers recognition to all Golden Retrievers that successfully participate in a minimum of three events at a Golden Retriever Club of Canada National Specialty. This is not a competition. Each qualifier, who applies for this award, will receive a certificate to honour their achievement. As well, the qualifying dogs will be announced at the following year’s Annual General Meeting.
This honour will be awarded to the Golden Retrievers who, during the GRCC National Specialty, receives a placement, pass or qualifying score in three events, one of which must be field:
- Field – WC/I/X pass; Hunt Test pass or Field Trial Placement or CM.
- Conformation – Placement in Regular or Altered classes. Placement in Veterans or Field classes; BOB, BOS, Best Puppy, Judge’s Award of Merit.
- Obedience – Qualifying score in a CKC Regular (title eligible) classes only. This includes Veterans jumping at three-quarters of their regular height.
- Agility – Qualifying score in a Regular and Select classes.
- Tracking – Pass – all stakes, including Urban Tracking.
- Rally O – Qualifying score.
The Eileen Battley “Hat Trick” Award application must be received by the Club within 90 days of the final day of all the National Specialty events.
June 23, 1919 – July 16, 2003
Eileen was the mother of Ainslie Mills (Oriana Perm. Reg.) and her brother Brent, and mother-in-law of Louise Battley (Tashora Reg.) Born in England, she came with her parents to Winnipeg at a young age and moved her family to Vancouver, B.C. in 1959 due to her husband Winston’s health. She was a musician, soprano soloist, voice and piano teacher, organist and choir leader in her professional life. She overcame polio in the early 1950’s outbreak, an example of her determination when she set her mind to something.
Eileen came to the Golden world relatively late in her life and was very proud to be a Life Member of the GRCBC. She always committed herself fully to any undertaking and her contributions to the GRCBC and the Golden fancy were many. She held executive office, helped with the newsletter, worked on Committees, managed the Club pins, chaired special events and seminars, attended mall displays, volunteered for Canadian Guide Dogs for the Blind and was a friend and supporter of many in the dog world. Her real love was the field and we are sure all that fresh air and exercise helped keep her in such good shape for so long. She reminded us that it is never too late and you are never too old to get involved and have some fun.
Her dogs achieved some wonderful goals under her guidance. She shared her life with five special Goldens and she treasured each of them. With her potions, vitamins and herbs, along with much love, her dogs all lived long and healthy lives.
- Alderbrooke’s Beckwith Meara CD; Am CD (1974-1990)
- CH Oriana A Cappella CDX TD WCI; GRCC OD; Am CD TD WC (1981-1995)
GRCC Top Brood Bitch 1986
GRCC Gibson Award for Versatility 1983
- CH Oriana Delyn Aur CD TD WC; Am TD (1983-1998)
- CH Oriana Intermezzo CDX WCI TT JH; Am JH WCX (1988-2002)
GRCC Gibson Award for Versatility 1997
- CH Stanroph Secret Weapon (1997- 2009)
Eileen Battley Hat Trick Award Winners
2009 (First Year Awarded) (Surrey, BC)
Can. Ch. MOTCH. Hot Rod on a Golden Kiss MH WCX TDX DD MVC CGC, Am. CD WCX – Lori Little
Zaniri’s Cheeky Monkey CD SH WCX, Am. SH WC – Joanne and Laureen Kinney
Zaniri’s Custom Coupe MH DD CD WCX, Am. WC – Lori Little
2010 (Stratford, ON)
Aureo I Fly Solo Am. TDX WC – Neida M. Heusinkvelt & Sheryl Salisbury
2012 (Surrey, BC)
CH MOTCH Zaniri’s Piece By Piece SH WCX – Leanne Tucker
MOTCH Zaniri Scenter Of The Universe SH TD WCX – Susan Highton
Tanglewood Ticket Tea Boo CGN PCD – Judith A. Dunlop & Louise Battley